Due to the outages, many citizens are trying to use space heaters or outdoor cooking appliances indoors, in their homes. This poses a major risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is generated by combustion.
We remind you that propane heating or cooking appliances must be used outdoors.
Barbecues or camping equipment must under no circumstances be used as an alternative source of heating, or for cooking indoors. Fuel-powered appliances (e.g. oil, gas, wood, gasoline, coal, propane) must not be used in your home.
We invite the population to move to warming stations and emergency shelters set up by the city, or to large heated public spaces such as libraries, shopping centers, etc.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:
- Visual disturbances (problems with vision)
- In more severe cases, loss of consciousness and convulsions may occur, and even death.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 right away.
FOR MORE INFORMATION :